Sunday, June 6, 2010

Friday Night in L&D

Thursday morning I had my weekly appointment at the OB and everything checked out almost normal. My blood pressure was up a little, reading 135/85, and I had protein in my urine. The OB said that since I do not have a history of blood pressure issues they would just continue to check it weekly as normal. Well, that afternoon I started to feel sick. I was nauseous, dizzy, and my heart was beating rapidly. I went to bed early in hopes of feeling better and was able to fall asleep, but all of the same symptoms returned in the morning. I felt horrible even lying down and I was drinking a ridiculous amount of water to stay hydrated. I called the OB and made an appointment for that afternoon.

I took Brooke in with me thinking it would be routine and I would get diagnosed with a virus or something simple. The nurse came in and took my blood pressure and we both were taken aback when it read 167/117. She said that since I had been talking to her while they were doing it we should try it again. The second reading was 147/104. Better... but much too high. The OB came in and said, "Do you have someone to stay with your daughter? I am sending you up to labor and delivery...". What?! People go to labor and delivery to have babies! And quite frankly, I am not ready to have this baby just yet. Maybe next week.

I called my Dustin who in turn called his mom and they both met at the hospital. His mom took Brooke home with her and he stayed with me while they got me set up in triage. I had to get blood drawn and an IV put in (lovely), and they put on the baby monitoring belts and a blood pressure cuff. I even got wheeled down to Radiology for an ultrasound which was nice since we got to see our baby girl again! Of course all of my labs came back perfect and my blood pressure was back down, so I was discharged within a couple hours.

It was an eventful night but thankfully they were able to bring my blood pressure down with out medicine. I have been feeling awful on and off all weekend but I have a follow up appointment tomorrow where I can address my concerns. Hopefully this is not the start of pre-eclampsia!


No comments: