Thursday, June 24, 2010

Birth Story

Both girls are sleeping and cupcakes are in the oven! My bedroom and bathroom might be a disaster but I wanted to sit down and write the rest of my birth story.

As I ended with last time, we were off for the hospital around 12:30am. The contractions were pretty painful and regular but I still wasn't convinced that this was it. I alternated between telling Dustin I wanted an epidural and telling him I was going to feel really dumb if it was false labor. We got to the hospital and into triage around 1am and they hooked me up to the monitors. I was definitely contracting regularly and when they checked me I was 4-5cm with a "bulging bag". This was it! We were staying and having our baby girl!

We got into our room around 2am and starting the "admitting process". I had asked for an epidural in triage so they got the blood work they needed and brought up the CRNA. Putting in the epidural took about 30 minutes but I was so grateful when it was in. There is nothing better than a numb abdomen during contractions. Unfortunately my blood pressure kept dropping but the CRNA was able to give me a couple shots that brought the room back into view.

The next 3 hours consisted of painless progressing and Dustin and I watching Avatar to make the time pass. We probably should have been sleeping since it was the middle of the night but I was way too excited and wound up. Around 6am I was 9cm with the urge to push but get this... my water was still intact! I didn't even know that was possible. I was still somewhat comfortable so I sat like this for another hour before the doctor came in and broke my water. The next hour and a half was the longest of my life, but it was worth it. Little Miss. Molly was face up just like her big sister so it took a bit more effort. At 8:29am she entered the world screaming her little head off. She came out of the ordeal with a pretty bruised up head but she has recovered nicely.

Recovery was MUCH easier the second time around and I felt ready to conquer the world right away. I showered, wore normal clothes, and even put hairspray in my hair that first day. We are home at settled now and things are going great. I will still update the blog but it may be sparse for a week or two while we adjust and get used to new schedules.



Yuliya A. said...

Congratulations on your little girl! She is absolutely adorable, enjoy her. Looks like big sister likes her too ;)

Dance4JC said...

congrats Jess!

Heidi said...

Molly is beautiful! Congrats on two beautiful daughters.

jenni said...

She's beautiful! Congrats again mama!

And I agree... the recovery after #2 has been 1000 times easier! I guess that's our reward after spending 9 months being PG while chasing around a toddler. I'll take it!