Thursday, October 15, 2009

This time last year...

My water broke sometime around 5am and I woke up Dustin up at 6am to tell him. Since the doctor told me not to run any red lights coming to the hospital we took time getting ready and packing our bags. This time last year I was being admitted to the hospital and probably getting ready to walk the halls with my IV. I would continue to walk the halls until 12:30pm when the nurse would decide to administer Pitocin to jump start my labor. Around 2pm labor would start and I would labor 4 hours before I was completely dilated and ready to push. 2 hours and 17 minutes later a screaming baby girl entered the world weighing in at 7lbs 1oz and measuring 19.5 inches, a good size considering she was 4 weeks early. It took us a full day to pick a name for her but she would finally be named Brooke Lynn.

This morning Brooke woke up around 9am and I went into her room singing Happy Birthday. She was standing up smiling at me and, as usual, she threw her arms up in the air to be picked up. It is amazing how much they grow in one year. She was so small and helpless when she was first born. She could not hold her head up, she had no idea she had arms, hands or fingers. Legs, feet or toes. She slept the day away with a belly full of warm milk. Now she walks on those new found legs, picks things up with those hands she eventually discovered, and even talks every now and then. She plays independently, loves to give hugs and kisses, and likes to chase the dog around the house.

She has grown in so many ways and I will continue to share that through this blog. Today we are headed to Picture People to have first birthday pictures done and then we will have lunch at the mall. Tonight we will have a special birthday dinner. You can expect pictures later!

No comments: